Translate

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hope I Die Before I Get Old --

The heading is taken from a Who song in the early sixties entitled My Generation.  I think, no I believe, that the 1960's were an extraordinary time.  Many of us came of age, in more ways than one, during this tumultuous time.  We rejected many of the staid and unprovable "facts of Life" in favor of a more thinking or at least a more thoughtful approach to the world.  The political idea that you were either for us or against us crumbled with the Vietnam war.  The social mores that there were white and black drinking fountains, and restrooms and soda fountains were rejected as separate but not really equal.  We were brought up on VISTA and the PEACE Corps and service to one's community and country was the highest calling to which one could respond.  Religiously, starting with the Catholic church the walls came down and the windows and doors were kicked open.  My lament at this point in my life, is what the heck happened?  We traded in on tie-dye for blue serge and our service to mankind in favor of service to ourselves.

I had a brief  discussion with Mr. Dale (can't be father since he was defrocked) Matson in which for some strange reason, he and at least Mr. McAlister (both Conelonialists) find the whole world came crashing down when "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" came to the foreground in the 1960s.  That it is my generation more than anything else that has caused them to reject everything we stand for and in order to return to those golden years of the 1930's??? (I guess).  Our move to full inclusion is racked by secular humanism, not by Christ's two great commandments and it seems that punishment and not forgiveness is what Jesus/God is known for and how can we possibly get those two mixed up!

Why do I bring all this up?  Am I hung up on the 60's?  Well, actually I didn't start the discussion but I find their arguments to be so out of my world view as to be almost silly, if the argument was not so narrowly defined and in fact blinded by superficial facts.  But, more importantly, I cannot live with a group that espouses a world view I cannot understand and do not believe in.  So what you say?  So, one more reason to move on as we are and IF the Anglican Communion moves with us fine, if it does not, no great loss.

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

No comments: