Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2008

THE CHRIST CHURCH, ALEXANDRIA QUITCLAIM

(October 19, 2008)
The congregation of Christ Church, Alexandria, approved a resolution by their vestry quit-claiming any trustee relationship for portions of The Falls Church property to the Diocese of Virginia and its Bishop.

I am breaking my personal rule about blogging on church business, but it seemed best to scoop any rumors that are sure to come along.

1. There was full discussion on this matter.
2. The vote was overwhelmingly in favor of the resolution. I counted the "nay" votes and will not announce the number, as I am not an officer of Christ Church. But I will note this: it wasn't difficult to do the count.
3. There are no other parcels of land involved in this resolution, period; this was clear in the original resolution circulated in blog-land, and will be clear in the final version as well. The historic trustee relationship in question is approximately two acres of land, which includes the Colonial-era chapel of The Falls Church.

I am an active communicant of Christ Church, Alexandria. I was at the congregational meeting that commenced today at approximately 10:15 a.m. I was eligible to vote in this matter, and I did.

Now, let the games of speculation, conjecture and rumors begin. Any report that conflicts with what I have written here is inaccurate and at least one layer removed from an actual attendee of the meeting.
----
It's a crisp, beautiful day here in Alexandria, Virginia. As I look out my window, I see we had enough rain this summer to enjoy a real display of mid-Atlantic fall foliage this year. It will be gorgeous very soon!

No comments: